My 2012 Walking Highlights


           


The Walking Cave Man blog (so called because I live in South Cave, East Yorkshire) has now been up and running for six months and I'm overwhelmed by the fantastic positive response I've received from all that have taken the time to read my posts in 2012. 

Upon starting this blog I had no expectations on what I wanted to achieve other than to share my experiences and really didn't think that many people would be too interested in what I had to share, however over time the site has gone from strength to strength and hopefully will continue to showcase the fantastic countryside and scenery East Yorkshire has to offer and also to encourage others to experience the great outdoors in their area.

This year I have been fortunate enough to have visited and walked a number of places and thought it would be an opportunity to review some of my favourite experiences of 2012, outside of East Yorkshire, and the posts that I've put together for each of these.




The Yorkshire Three Peaks - I had a number of 'walking' goals this year which I felt needed ticking off my bucket list, mainly to say that I done them, which included this challenge walk. 

Although not as tough as I though it was going to be and had 'bagged' each peak individually the year before, this was a fantastic experience I enjoyed immensely, which I completed with a group of new friends from the KC Walking group.
  
The iconic Yorkshire Three Peaks

For further details regarding the Yorkshire Three Peaks challenge, my individual routes for each of the hills and other walks in the Dales please see my Yorkshire Dales Page and also my blog post 'an alternative route from Pen-y-ghent'.



Crinkle Crags and Bowfell - Although I have been camping in Great Langdale for a number of years I've not been lucky enough to experience good conditions to complete this range of peaks, however with my good friend, we were eventually rewarded (after years of waiting) with a weekend of fantastic weather to embark on one of my all time favourite walks.

Crinkle Crags and Bowfell (taken by walking partner - see further pictures at Life Spirit)
For a full walk description and further pictures please see my Lake District page.
    


Helvellyn - On the same weekend as our Crinkle Crags walk the opportunity to take advantage of the weather was too good to miss and therefore my first ascent of Helvellyn via Striding Edge was an extremely memorable one for me.

The Approach and summit of Helvellyn (taken by walking partner - see further pictures at Life Spirit)
Although the weather was superb the wind on the summit was unbelievability strong, blowing me off my feet a couple of times (and I'm a big lump to topple!) however the scenery was breathtaking and well worth the hard ascent. 

For a full walk description and further pictures please see my Lake District page.


Langdale Pikes - I once again joined up with KC Walking for the weekend, with a view to walk the Langdale Pikes and Bowfell, however due to the typical Lake District weather the walk was cut short and Bowfell was unfortunately untackled, however this did not spoil a brilliant walk with really good friends.

The walk started from the traditional starting point at Stickle Barn Tavern heading up Stickle Ghyll and followed the main route to the Langdale Pikes.


Stickle Tarn and Pike of Stickle

For a full walk description and further pictures please see my Lake District page.



There have been many walks that I have enjoyed this year of which these are some and hope to enjoy many more in 2013. Please remember to look at some of the walks that I have posted on this blog and please feel free to contact me at thewalkingcaveman@ymail.com or tweet me @GillardAndrew with any comments or if you have any walks you would like to share.


 Please select the below to view The Walking Cave Man walks in East Yorkshire
 

No comments:

Post a Comment

Many thanks for leaving a message on The Walking Cave Man - Please remember to follow me on Facebook, Twitter or email me on thewalkingcaveman@ymail.com